Insalata Caprese (salad in the style of Capri) is a simple salad, made of sliced fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil, seasoned with salt, and olive oil. In Italy, unlike most salads, it is usually served as an antipasto (starter), not a contorno (side dish).
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 thinly-sliced chicken breasts, lightly pounded
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly-ground pepper & kosher salt
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 c fresh lemon juice
- 3 T chopped basil or oregano
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 4 oz fresh buffalo mozzarella
- Heat olive oil in pan.
- Place chicken on heated pan.
- Add garlic, salt & pepper, and red pepper flakes. Sear on both sides.
- Add lemon juice and basil or oregano.
- Layer tomatoes and mozzarella on chicken.
- Top with extra herbs
- Transfer to oven and bake at 425 for 5-10 mins until cheese is melted.
To help you further with this recipe, you can watch this video where Chef Amy Riolo demonstrates how to make caprese style chicken breasts with a mixed pepper medley.
Enjoy this scrumptious healthy meal!